The 2022 January transfer window is open (find out when it closes here), and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Mbappe in talks over new PSG contract
It’s the news Real Madrid probably didn’t want to hear, as Telefoot journalist Julien Maynard is reporting that Kylian Mbappe has opened talks over a new contract with Paris Saint-Germain — but it won’t be a long-term deal.
Mbappe, 23, is out of contract at the end of the season and was widely expected to move to the Bernabeu on a free transfer. But this latest development casts doubt on that.
The report suggests he could sign a short extension, which would force Real Madrid into once again offering a transfer fee for the striker.
🚨 INFOS TELEFOOT 100% PSG
– Discussions pour une courte prolongation de Mbappé !
– Marquinhos va prolonger d’au moins 2 saisons !
– Paris prospecte au milieu. Objectif dégraissage cet hiver
— Téléfoot (@telefoot_TF1) January 14, 2022
Last summer, Los Blancos offered €220 million but PSG simply ignored it.
11.51 GMT: Joao Felix is “untouchable” at Atletico Madrid, Marca reports, with the LaLiga club ruling out a move for the Portugal forward this month — or in the summer — despite reports linking him with Manchester City.
The 22-year-old has often looked an awkward fit for Diego Simeone’s team since joining from Benfica for a club record fee of €126m in 2019 and has scored just two goals in 12 LaLiga appearances this season in an injury-disrupted campaign.
According to the newspaper, Atletico have no interest in letting Joao go this year, just as they refused to entertain a departure to Barcelona as part of the deal that brought Antoine Griezmann back to the club last summer.
11.06 GMT: Tanguy Ndombele looks to be on his way out at Tottenham Hotspur, with Football London reporting that the midfielder has been told train on his own by coach Antonio Conte.
The 25-year-old was booed off by the Spurs fans during last weekend’s FA Cup game against Morecambe, and was left out of the Carabao Cup semifinal second leg against Chelsea on Wednesday night.
Napoli are one club who have been linked with Ndombele, who was Spurs’ record signing when he joined from Lyon in 2019.
“In this moment Tanguy Ndombele is a Tottenham player. For this reason, you have to consider him a Tottenham player,” Conte said on Friday, hardly a glowing endorsement.
10.18 GMT: La Repubblica in Italy is reporting that Arsenal are pressing ahead with their interest in Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic.
Vlahovic, 21, is one of the most in-demand strikers in Europe and has rejected a new contract. The Serie A club are now trying to get the best transfer fee they can with only 18 months left on the striker’s deal.
Arsenal have tried to jump the queue by making efforts to sign the Serbia international this month. And the report says that the Gunners have offered €70 million to try and get a deal done now.
09.30 GMT: Sergino Dest faces an uncertain future at Barcelona after being left out of the squad for Wednesday’s 3-2 defeat to Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa, but is determined to fight for his place, sources have told ESPN.
Teams from around Europe, including Bayern Munich and Chelsea, are monitoring Dest’s situation, but sources close to the United States international have told ESPN he hopes to stay at Camp Nou beyond the January transfer window and prove his worth.
However, sources at the club refuse to rule out an exit this month. The right-back has fallen out of favour under new coach Xavi Hernandez and his departure could help fund a move for a new striker.
– Journalist Ekrem Konur reveals that West Ham United are keen on acquiring Ludovic Ajorque. The 27-year-old Strasbourg forward has provided 10 goals and six assists in 17 games. West Ham may have to offer a significant fee to persuade Strasbourg to release their key frontman in a season where they are chasing European qualification.
– Palmeiras have advanced their approach for Bayer Leverkusen striker Lucas Alario, according to Ekrem Konur. The 29-year-old has mainly found himself on the bench this season, coming on as a substitute 11 times in Bundesliga games, while starting on just one occasion. But after a previous successful spell with River Plate, he could now be set for a return to South America, with Copa Libertadores winners Palmeiras looking to bolster their forward line.
– The Portland Timbers are continuing their moves in the transfer market, and journalist Cesar Luis Merlo writes that they are in for David Ayala. The 19-year-old midfielder has worked himself into the Estudiantes first team in recent months, as well as having represented Argentina at the youth levels.
– Sampdoria are moving fast in the January window and have overtaken Genoa in the race for Roberto Piccoli, according to journalist Gianluca Di Marzio. It is reported that the Serie A club are now favourites to land the in-demand 20-year-old Atalanta forward. And Sampdoria are also working hard to secure a second move: Inter Milan midfielder Stefano Sensi, who has struggled for regular minutes this season, with the 26-year-old starting just one game for the Nerazzurri.